LETS TALK SALARY EXPECTATION WHEN YOU ARE AT AN INTERVIEWSo let's believe you made it through the rigorous CV screening and got invited for an interview and got to the question of "WHAT DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PAY YOU"? or "OR IS YOUR SALARY EXPECTATION" or "DO YOU HAVE A DESIRED SALARY EXPECTATION"?
Please Note that this is more of a trick test question than an inquiry most times it is used by an interviewer! Be smart in your answer:
1. Don't Overthink it...Prior to your attending the interview, do your research on the organization, the department you are applying into and the salary structure there. The answer you give the interviewer tells the interviewer a number of things:
- If you are over ambitious
- If you know the sector you are applying into
- Your knowledge of the industry
- Your sense of value
- Your experience or naivety
2. Don't give a straight immediate answer...You indirectly communicate to your interview that you are desperate.
3. Don't drag your answer/bargain for long.....It reduces your integrity/prudence before your interviewer after a while. Also paints you as indecisive or lacking coordination.
4. FOR JOB/CAREER SHIFTS WHETHER VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL: Don't be Overly ambitious...Don't go asking for twice your current salary or asking close to it (Ideally ask an amount that is around 25-40% increase of your present salary that is if you are fairly experienced AND up to 60% if you are well experienced).
5. FOR FRESH GRADUATES/ENTRY LEVEL: Don't put yourself on a 'HIGH-JUMP'. Average salary for fresh graduates after youth service is NGN60,000. If you choose to ask for 90-100,000NGN at your first job then:
- You make yourself appear incompetent
- You appear less prudent
- You give off an aura of been extravagant
FOR THOSE IN YOUTH SERVICE...please don't be expectant of much. Its a trainee job by the way.
Now am not saying you should sell yourself low, but be sure what you are bringing to the table is worth more than the amount you are asking for and not the other way round. Be wise!
Remember it takes only a minute to create an impression but takes loads of time to change it